Tuesday, June 12, 2007

John, 2nd episode

I've seen the second episode of HBO's John from Cincinnati, anyone with 48 minutes and HBO On Demand can do so. I'll save plot specifics until after the "official" airing, but I will say the family relationships feel much more lived-in and fraught. Bruce Greenwood and Rebecca DeMornay (as married heads of a famous surfing family) strike up a chemistry, and Ed O'Neill seems to be finding something in his eccentric character (a mostly shut-in who keeps birds). The one bit of "magic realism" comes not from visitor "John Monad" (who everyone seems to think is mentally handicapped) but from another surprising source. Stay tuned.....Oh, does anyone know what the theme song is?

1 comment:

Mark said...

Monad is a really archaic philosophical term. I wish I could give you more details, but I've never really cared for the continental school of philosophy. I love logic, but don't really have the time, patience or inclination to deal with "dialectics".