Sunday, September 20, 2009

On the hook

Diablo Cody wasn't just a writer on Jennifer's Body, so if you don't like it then it's her fault. (IFC)

Q: You have an executive producer credit on "Jennifer's Body," which can mean different things. What was the full extent of your involvement with the film?

A: I feel like I cut my teeth as a producer on "Juno," even though I didn't have the credit, because Jason Reitman is such a generous guy. He would ask for my opinion on things like casting and production design. I didn't realize at the time that those are tasks often left to a producer.

On "Jennifer's Body," I was able to formally give input into pretty much every aspect of the production, be on set every day and talk about the look of the film and what we were trying to convey, which is a discussion being had constantly because the tone is so specific. I enjoyed that very much, and I'm also a producer on this TV show that I write ["United States of Tara"]. It's on-the-job training, like a truck driver.

1 comment:

jinx protocol said...

It's a shame that the movie's being so poorly reviewed. I kind of liked the idea of watching a Diablo Cody-penned horror flick. Sadly, the reviews have discouraged me from going to see it.