Sunday, October 04, 2009

Dept. of Kindle Underwhelm

Ivy Leaguers are given Kindles, but prefer their reading "analog." (Daily Princetonian/Orange Crate Art)

Wilson School professor Stan Katz, who teaches Horvath’s class, said he is interested in whether he “can teach as effectively in using this as in using books and E-Reserve material and in whether students can use this effectively,” adding that “the only way to find out is to try it.”

One of Katz’ main concerns is whether students can do close reading of the texts with the new device, he said.

“I require a very close reading of texts. I encourage students to mark up texts, and … I expect them to underline and to highlight texts,” Katz explained. “The question is whether you can do them as effectively with a Kindle as with paper.”

Katz added that had to confront the issue early when he transitioned from using familiar texts for teaching.

“I have all of my books marked up,” Katz said. “Either I use my own annotations, or I take the time, an immense amount of time” to annotate with the Kindle.

Katz also said he has little incentive to move his annotations to the Kindle, explaining that he heard the University won’t use the Kindle next year and adding that he finds the device “hard to use.”

No comments: