Thursday, January 10, 2013

Breakdown


The toughest scene that Stephen Chbosky had to write for his adaptation of his own The Perks of Being A Wallflower, one of my favorite films of 2012. (Vulture)
I have a saying: There's a difference between filming a script and making a movie. I was not precious about cutting things for the movie, because I already had the novel exactly the way I wanted it to be. I'll give you another example, though it has nothing to do with this scene: I had it in my mind that after they graduated, the characters would run up this hill, and there was a hill that I'd always wanted to film. I'm talking seventeen years that I wanted to film this shot! And then we were supposed to shoot it on a Monday night, and on the Friday before, we were doing a football scene, and I turned around and saw the bleachers at sunset and thought, Wow, that is a beautiful shot. And in that moment, I changed it from the hill to the bleachers, and it became one of the best images in the film. You have to listen to your intuition.

No comments: