Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Josh Ritter



I have neglected the great music site I Am Fuel, You Are Friends for far too long, so when I went back there recently it was a pleasure to find this group "album club" interview with singer/songwriter/novelist Josh Ritter. Ritter has a new album called The Beast In Its Tracks that draws on his failed marriage, and as he remarks below the process of working through painful events may set him off in a new creative direction.
So I really think I got to that point with So Runs the World Away, and I didn’t really know what else I was going to do, and then that stuff came along and knocked the wind out of my sails and made it kind of impossible to write about any other stuff. Other stories just pale in comparison to your own story when it’s happening, you know what I mean? It’s more fun to wallow in your own story than in some other story. I think this might be the beginning of some new stuff, although I don’t think about it as necessarily autobiographical, so much as like… there are great albums like Wildflowers, that beautiful Tom Petty record, or Time (The Revelator), a Gillian Welch record, which aren’t autobiographical, but have a beautiful personal voice to them, without being larger stories.

No comments: